We took a Sunday drive to our property again today. It was a gorgeous, sunny, afternoon and we thought we'd get down to business with dropping of some building supplies and moving the pull trailer out from under it's shelter. Alas, things didn't go quite as planned. There is something living under our supply shed, the trailer has 2 flat tires (not suprising since it's been there since 1978!), and it started to rain.
At least we made the best of it and chatted with our neighbours, brought home the spare propaine tanks, and left the robin's nest for another day. That's right, it's still there since I last mentioned it! We were there 2 weekends ago and saw little birdie beaks peaking out looking for worms. Today, thinking enough time had passed, we were going to take apart the shelter and "recycle" the empty nest. Not so lucky on that either.
Yes! More eggs! That sneaky mama bird! This time only three of them and I guess they should be thankful for 2 flat tires!
As if all these goings on were not enough, look what else I am suspicious of right at the front of our driveway...
I've been around poison ivy most of my childhood and could, at the time, spot it a mile away. However, it's been years since I've had to identify any and all I can remember is the little quip, "leaves of three, let it be". Poison ivy is a bit of a sly plant, and although many know about it's three leaf warning, it can take many forms including a climbing vine! Sometimes waxy, sometimes not. Sometimes more jagged on the edges, sometimes a little less. Somestimes ... Well, you get the idea.
I personally am thinking (and hoping) it's not. The 2 side leaves aren't pointing close enough to 9 and 3 (o' clock), and the 'veins' are very pronounced, and it is much to jagged along the edges. What do you think? The beginnings of a lovely forest shrub? Or the real venemous deal?
Until next time,
Heather
3 comments:
what a beautiful nest!~those eggs are so lovely. I found some "egg print" fabric and think I'll put some in the I SPY quilt. :)
I'm always wondering what is poison ivy and what is not... so many things here look like it. Stay clear!
I have a poison ivy rash on my arm now, I think this time I got it from the laundry - if hubby walks through it or uses the weed-eater it gets on his pants, then I just have to be in the same general vicinity (it seems) to have an outbreak. Oh well, such is life in the country, right?
Thanks for stopping by my place, love all your quilty pictures!
I don't know what poison ivy looks like. I'll look forward to getting a definitive answer from you.
Post a Comment